Thought I'd post something here about my map viewer for Traveller subsector maps. CG has hit the app now. By that, I mean the planets are not just colored dots anymore. I used Vue Infinite to render various worlds that I could place in the hexes. This morning, I added asteroids to the rendered choices.
Thought I'd bring out my Discovery One model again for a sunset render. I still need to finish the back end of it. It was modeled in Hexagon 1.21, after first seeing if Amapi 7.51 Pro could do the job better or not. Since I needed to control better where polygons would line up on its surface for me to extrude from, Hexagon 1.21 became the perfect fit for doing this model.
I used Carrara 5.1 Pro for adding creases to some of the edges. Especially for the antenna. In older blog posts, you can see the amount of detail that I used on the antenna. It's a shame the render here has the antenna mostly hidden.
YouTube recently started spamming me with nonsense videos about the hidden meanings behind 2001: A space Odyssey. And that reminded me of my unfinished model.
How should computers see stars in the background? For me, it would depend on the art style one is going after. This background is a very basic one. No spinning galaxy background, such as Star Wars often uses.
I'm finishing up my Free Trader model. Took about a week to build from scratch. Some of those days were spent thinking things through first. I will redo the back end one day, to give the engines more substance than just simple flaring.
I ran some white-wash over the ship in 3D-Coat, using a smart material. I first tried doing it while the ship was in several parts. But smart materials really do prefer to pour from their buckets at the same scale. Meaning, all the parts need to have the same resolution for their texture maps. It's part of the calculation smart materials do before the fill bucket is clicked.
So I welded the parts together that needed the same white-wash treatment done. They all used the same UV map, which I was hoping to avoid at first. I prefer to have a UV map for each object. But maybe for this model, it wouldn't kill to have one huge UV map. In the meantime, the separate parts that used different paint materials were left as individual objects.
Anyway, this is just the shell body. Ready for the scrapyard.
I spent a few hours, playing with different apps I have, doing various draft models of the Free Trader. It will be a lo-res model when completed. Something that I don't want to spend more than a couple days on. Which meant Hexagon would be used. Ha!
Amapi Pro is great at NURBS. But it is a terrible box-modeler, which I was finding worked better for this kind of object. I had forgotten that Hexagon does boolean cutting, which speeds up the modeling process as well. I'm hoping I don't have to do too much clean-up work on the mesh, once I'm done cutting chunks out of it.
Because I'm old-school, when it comes to modeling Traveller ships, I tend to use only the first drawing made of a ship for reference. I have no idea what the back or bottom of the Free Trader looks like, because there is only the one image of it in The Traveller Book hardcover on page 64. Maybe I have some notes that I took about that back in the day still. Otherwise, creative license as usual.
Like all models I make, this one will also be done by eyeballing things. No tracing.
Updated the model some. Getting ready to UV map it.
I forgot I had an AHL model I could throw in without any conversions. This photo was rendered in modo. Then color-corrected in CameraBag. These are all lo-res models, so I have the lighting doing most of the work here to get some realism going for the shot. I have the background hidden from the camera, which provided most of the light.