Shawn Driscoll's Computer Graphics Blog

Object modeling, texturing, lighting, rendering, etc.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Why buy only one when you can buy two for the price of two?

This is the kind of monorail track I was talking about. The reaction rail will be textured metal. The rest will be concrete.

I just love the instancing in modo.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's getting there, in a sense

I got the stripes painted and added the lettering, DOT, and logo "decals". I also fixed the normals on the headlights.

The next thing is to texture the monorail.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Figured" out body detailing

I did some decal painting on a Hexagon 1.21 OBJ mesh I had imported into 3D-Coat 2.10. And when I exported the painted mesh back into Hexagon, the edges around the windows were just slightly off. Just enough so that the windows didn't fit right.

I tried everything I could think of to preserve the original mesh between the apps. Then i tired the last thing with was to "Export low-poly mesh with original positions". Since I wasn't smoothing the mesh on import, I should not have been exporting a mid-poly mesh.

So now I can paint diffuse colors on my meshes all I want without the worry of them exporting with the wrong size or in the wrong location.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nice skirt

Here the skirt was remodeled. It now has air vents along the sides and the front has areas for the headlights.

I adjusted the window shape just a hair, too.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Rohr Aerotrain has real windows now

I wasn't happy with the way my clever procedural window transparency shader was rendering using Anything Goos and some domain luck. So I eventually modeled the windows manually.

Here is a quick modo render of the Aerotrain shell with some nice holes cut into to. I will be modifying the skirt as well so that its headlights and exhaust vents have enclosures.

Then my next trick is to delete all the domains from this vehicle and UV map and paint it using 3D-Coat 2.10.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Waiting for the 2010 eclipse

The monolith was modeled in Hexagon 1.21 and then exported as OBJ into 3DCoat 2.10.17 to be UV mapped and sculpted. The model was then exported as OBJ into a Vue Infinite 7.5 scene where it was textured and copied a few times. Two of the monoliths got a spray from Vue's plants brush.

This latest render was created in Vue Infinite 8.